The admissions process is two-fold. It gives the parents an opportunity to learn about the school, its philosophy and policies, and the staff. It also gives the MCMS staff the opportunity to assess each child’s situation and to determine whether we will meet the child’s needs and the expectations of the family. Our goal is to enroll families who share in our values and who will benefit from and contribute to what our school has to offer.
- If you are interested in enrolling your child at Mi Casita Montessori School, schedule a visit to the school by calling the office at (361) 991-1492 and making an appointment. A parent’s visit to the school will include a tour of the facility, observation of the classroom in progress to provide an opportunity to evaluate our program, and spending time with the administrator to discuss your needs and any questions.
- Return the completed application and $30 application fee to place your child’s name on the waiting list.
- Once a space becomes available, we will contact you to schedule an interview for possible placement for your child. During the interview, your child will have the opportunity to meet with the teacher and spend time in the classroom.
- The MCMS staff will review the application and the assessment of your child made by the teacher during the interview to make a decision regarding acceptance.
- When your child is accepted, MCMS will provide parents with an Enrollment Agreement and the necessary paperwork to enroll. A tuition deposit is due within two weeks of being notified of acceptance in the school. The deposit confirms your child’s place and is non-refundable.
- After your visit, you will find the purpose of the admissions process is to optimize the match between our school and your child.
The policy of this school is to welcome diversity in both the student body and staff. We enroll students and hire staff without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin. However, to maintain a well-balanced Montessori classroom the following acceptance criteria will be considered:
Criteria of Acceptance of New Students:
- The student’s readiness and willingness to learn.
- The parent’s understanding and acceptance of our basic goals and expectations.
- The student being the proper age for class balance (2 1/2 to 3 years old is the optimum age to start Montessori).
- The student being the sex needed for class balance.
- The student being fully toilet trained for the Children’s House class.
- There are a limited number of openings for children over 4 years old who have not been in another Montessori program. Early spring each year, current students are given an opportunity to re-register for the next school year. All remaining spaces are filled from the applications on file.
Admissions to the school follows the following priority basis:
- Re-enrollment of current students.
- Siblings of current students.
- Transfers from other Montessori schools.
- New students.
If there are factors which would result in a child not being accepted, these will be communicated to the parent. Our staff is not trained to deal with severe learning or emotional disorders. We can provide individualized instruction to meet the developmental needs of most children. All new enrollments are provisional, subject to the student’s reactions to the program within the first six weeks.
When your child becomes a part of our program, we expect your full support and hope you and your child will enjoy becoming a part of our community. We look forward to serving you and your child.